Saturday, March 20, 2010

Back to the stranger...

So after I encountered this stranger and he asked me for directions I didn't see him again. I was hitting the part of the trail that enters the woods, so I was concerned he'd jump out at me. Luckily my ipod had died so I had no choice but to listen to all the noises around me.

Back to the outfit. Who goes for a nice jog in a flannel shirt, camo pants, and hiking boots? Someone who doesn't have any other clothes. Someone such as the character in, "Into the Wild" who wanders through life. If this stranger was of the "Into the Wild" breed I suppose I shouldn't have been scared. But something about his posture and stance seemed threatening to me, and plus the dog didn't like him-- a bad sign.

I guess there are probably lots of these people who travel to the islands to explore and continue their wandering. In the back of my mind was the possibility that he was a serial killer, but most likely this is due to my obsession with 48 Hours, Dateline, 20/20, etc..

Generally it is easy to spot strangers aka tourists. Tourists don't really travel alone. Locals might. We just aren't used to seeing odd characters running solo on a trail in flannel, camo, and hiking boots. Lesson learned. I can't always expect to have the trail to myself, even on this island.

No comments:

Post a Comment